top of page

Bleak House

163 West 2nd Street



Architect Unknown
Building Facade Restored


This 1916 house was built for Richard M. Bleak and his wife Ellye Ellsworth Bleak. The house was constructed on the Ellsworth land,
which was owned by the family since 1890.  Richard Bleak was a blacksmith and Ellye was a photographer who operated the Ellsworth Studio, later named Bleak studio.
William H.Peterson purchased the house in May of 1927. Peterson operated the Mesa Service Station, which became the Peterson Bros. Service Station.  The Petersons owned the house through the 1930s.  In the early 1990’s the Hogue Family did the first renovation of the house.  The front porch window was discovered behind the livingromm front wall.


The house went through a series of owners after the Hogues. Sadly the home had had gone into disrepair and was in need of a full renovation.


Luckily, in 2009 the house was purchased by the Understiller Family, who restored the house to it's original splender. Additional information about the renovation can be found at Tuesdays With Dorie


A good example of the Bungalow Style with distinctive Craftsman Style
door and windows.


bottom of page